Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Saying Goodbye

Heather and I stood in my driveway. It hit me like a ton of bricks that I was saying goodbye to one of my best friends. I mean, we have been friends since Subbie Orientation. I broke out crying the minute I was inside my house. I just sobbed my little heart out.

Throughout the summer, all I could think about was YES I graduated, and YES I am leaving. Then, all my friends began leaving. Maybe it was especially hard because I am one of the last to leave in our class. I think it's hard for all of us though. Your class, those sixty people, have been with you for the roller coaster of Uni. Even if you didn't like Uni, you still liked people. Even if you didn't like most people, you had those special few you called friends. Saying goodbye is so damn hard.

I am excited for college, truly. But that doesn't negate the fact that I cried when my friends left. It doesn't negate the fact that I feel really lonely this week. It doesn't negate the fact that meeting new people and starting fresh is as scary as it is exciting. The problem is, at Uni we are so focused on getting into college, we forget that we will have four years of college. I got accepted, I accepted to Knox, and all summer I've been waiting for college to start. Part of the problem is that I've always been a future minded person. I daydream about my life ten years from now, and I daydream about my life tomorrow. I got so caught up with going to college, I forgot that in order to go, I have to leave.

Just let me give you a picture of last week. I said goodbye to Simone on Saturday, Heather on Sunday, Chris on Monday, and Revathi on Wednesday. That was just last WEEK. God, I want to cry just thinking about it. The only thing I can tell you Class of 2012 is, treasure this year. Go to games, to performances, to parties, to class activities. Hug each other, be kind to each other, listen to each other, laugh with each other. Enjoy those moments, so that when you are standing in a driveway, hugging one of your classmates, you can tell yourself that it's really see you later, not goodbye. Well, tell yourself after a good cry. The cry is earned, because having someone to miss is a beautiful, heartbreaking thing.

Much love,
Celinda <3
(Left) Rachael and I, Subbie Year
(Right) Jenny, Simone, Fiona and I at Wet Seal, Senior Year

See you later, Class of 2011!
                                                               

No comments:

Post a Comment