Friday, January 13, 2012

Weekly Roundup 1: Winter Wonderland Edition

SNOWWWWW EVERYONE!

I might be the ripe old age of 17 now, but I still love snow. I might or might not have thrown a snowball at my friend on the way to class today. And I might or might not have thrown a large amount of it in the air out of joy...

Before I get into my weekly roundup, I want to extend a deeply felt, absolutely sincere thank you to my teachers at Uni High. This week has been a little bumpy as I adjust to the academic levels asked by an institution of higher learning. However, the skill sets and breadth of knowledge I received at Uni High made it a successful week. I want to specifically thank Mr. Mitchell, Mr. Rayburn, and Mr. Vaughn for teaching me how to argue a position and write a clear thesis statement. On an assignment I did for School and Society, the teacher wrote "I like that you take a strong position here". He also wrote that the assignment overall was good, that I took a clear position and defended it well. So, thank you so much for being such amazing teachers. I am very blessed that I had the honor of being your student.

Anyways, time for my first weekly roundup in Winter Term!

5 Best Things This Week:
1) I got a 4 out of 5 on my first Education Class assignment!
2) It snowed! FINALLY!
3) My lovely friends Heather and Cristina visited :]
4) I got all ten hours of work this week
5) I finally understand direct and indirect object pronouns en Espanol lol

5 Worst Things This Week:
1) I went to bed really late Monday and Tuesday night because of Spanish HW
2) I got sick bleghhhhhh
3) I didn't really talk in either of my new classes this week :/
4) It snowed...so cold and windy!
5) I haven't gone to the gym yet, like I planned

Most Embarrassing Moment This Week:
So, as previously mentioned, I'm sick guys. And yesterday I was working in the morning, with just one of adult employees and another student worker. This means the office was quiet. Anyways, I was working on checking and sending out letters, and there were a lot of them, when I suddenly started coughing, and I. COULD. NOT. STOP. When 10:30 came around, I hadn't finished, but I had to go to class. I had been coughing for like two minutes now, and it was so loud in the quiet office. Even worse, I had been coughing so hard that tears were streaming down my face. Long story short, I had to inform both the employee and the student worker that I wasn't done but I had to go, all the while looking like it broke my damn heart....LOL at my life guys. L.O.L.


Words of Wisdom:
Don't stretch yourself too thin. You only have so much to give to the world before you start half-assing things, or hurting yourself. For a personal example, I volunteer at the Boys and Girls Club, take three classes (two of which are reading/writing intensive and one that is a language), I volunteer with Blessings in a Backpack, AND I am an active member of APO. So basically? I do a ton of stuff. I almost decided to volunteer tutor at the alternative school in town, but I realize I don't have the ENERGY. So, think depth, not breadth. Give your time meaningfully to a few activities, whether that is a sport, a literary magazine, or a volunteer opportunity, rather than stretching yourself thin by doing EVERYTHING.

3 Most Essential Items This Week:
1) Cough Drops. My throat was killing me for like four days, and these helped.
2) Drowsy Cold and Flu meds. College dorms are notoriously loud, and the medication helps you sleep as well as hold back your symptoms.
3) Gloves/Hats/etc. If you are going to a college that has cold winters, definitely invest in good winter gear. You are outside a lot--walking to and from class, to the dorm, to the cafeteria, to the gym, etc. Be smart and dress warm, so you don't catch a cold!

Most Interesting Discovery This Week:
Academic: "Judaism" has actually gone through multiple stages throughout history--Ancient Israelite Religion, Second Temple Judaism, Rabbinic Judaism, etc.
Social: Even though I seem like an introvert, not going out much, I am actually very happy with my life. I've got a great set of friends, and plenty of nice acquaintances :]

Best Food Item In The Caf:
Not so much food or an item that is made, but Peppermint Tea is DELICIOUS yo :]

Plans For The Weekend:
Sleep...sleep? Um...oh, sleep! A lot of sleep, a sprinkling of homework, an Agatha Christie novel I am in the middle of, APO meeting, and possibly a Target run. So, actually, fairly relaxed.

And, that is a week (well, the first FULL week) at Knox College, Winter Term!

Keep Posted,
Celinda :]

No comments:

Post a Comment