Thursday, September 22, 2011

Going Greek: Breaking the Myth Part Two

Here is Part Two! To refresh, Seth Bull graduated Uni with me in 2011, and he now attends the Missouri School of Technology. Right now he is a pledge of his fraternity, which means he isn't a full member yet, and as such doesn't know all the inner-workings of his frat. Hopefully, I will be able to do a blog later on with him about frat life, POST-pledge. Here is the interview, enjoy!

1) Why did you want to join a fraternity/sorority?
I didn't. At all. Then I came to the university, met the people there, talked about what it entailed, and met the people in the dorms. At Pikes, everyone seemed to embody the point of a fraternity: brotherhood. The choice made itself really.

2) What is pledging like?
A crap load of chores. But the "normal" pledging stuff really doesn't happen. No one forced me to drink, and I still don't. We aren't hazed, but there are rules. We have to maintain a minimum GPA, and there are loads of things we can't do during the week. But it's rewarding, I've gotten to know 35 guys over 5 weeks better than I've known most people at Uni after 5 years. For me, the people and the experience have thus far outweighed the negatives by a load.

3) What would you say are the positives of being a member?
(i) There is ALWAYS someone to hang out with. Don't want to party that night? Hang with the guy down the hall who wants to watch sport center or play games.
(ii) Help is practically thrown at you. There are 35 other guys all taking freshman courses and 110 others who have taken them before. You will succeed if you want to.
(iii) Friends. I'm already better friends with these guys than most of the people I knew at Uni (sorry :P).
(iv) A network to fall on. Where ever I go, whatever company I work for, there will always be someone who was a Pike, knew a Pike, or was related to a Pike, and knows who we are and what kind of guys join Pi Kappa Alpha.
(v) The nicest digs on campus. Seriously, I pay less for a better house with better people than everyone else on campus.

4) What would you say are the negatives of being a member?
At least for me the time commitment is massive. I have to study for in house stuff, along with my regular work. I also have to do a minimum number of volunteer hours per semester and various duties around the house.

Theres also the way people outside the Greek system look at us. Everyone pictures animal house, and I can assure you, if that was the case here, I would have been the last person on earth to sign up. I hate that stereotype. My house isn't like that in the slightest. We're no where near perfect, but we try damn hard to get as close as possible.

5) What kind of person succeeds in a fraternity/sorority?
It's hard to say. There isn't one kind of person that would be good in all fraternities. There are different fraternities that expect different things. I chose Pike because they're smart, but good in athletics, and are genuinely fun guys to be around. If I'm forced to pick a guy in school who'd be good in a fraternity, I'd say it's that natural leader person. The guy who's the top of everything, seemingly without trying. Parties hard, works harder. But there is loads of wiggle room. I'd say almost anyone can contribute to a fraternity.


6) Is there hazing? What is it like?
No. And anyone who even says they'll haze you is immediately kicked out. They take that stuff seriously. Hazing doesn't promote brotherhood, which is the entire point of a fraternity. Again, that might not be the case everywhere, but here in Rolla, at Pi Kappa Alpha, you will not be hazed. You will do chores until you have memorized every nook and cranny of your area, but you will not be hazed.

7) Many Greek "societies" do service work. What is your fraternity/sorority's cause?
I'm pledging for Pi Kappa Alpha, aka Pikes. We do it all. In two weeks we'll be doing stuff for JDRF in STL, and a few after that, we'll do some stuff with Habitat. There are volunteer opportunities all over the place.


8) Is there anything else you would like to add, wisdom you want to give for people planning on joining Greek life?

Don't be scared of it. Not all fraternities are animal house, but you ought to be careful. Even in lil ol' Rolla there are some bad fraternities. You should have your guard up, especially when you're looking at all the different houses. Remember, they're trying to get you to Rush. But if you find the house where you fit, it'll be the greatest choice of your life. These guys I'm surrounded by are some of the coolest, smartest, and most fun people I've been around. Joining Pikes was the best choice I've ever made.

Both Seth and Lizzy are sooo amazing, for taking the time out to answer my questions. At the end of this weekend, I will write a blog about my own experiences with pledging, as well as giving some information about those "alternate" fraternities, (themed, co-ed, etc). I'm also going to do a blog (hopefully tomorrow!) about sleeping in a dorm and sleep at college in general. Trust me, I have a LOT to say.

Much Love,
Celinda

No comments:

Post a Comment