Sunday, September 11, 2011

Playing Adult

You know those excessively productive days? Today was one of them.

First off, I woke up an hour earlier than I meant to. High school me would have cursed the world and gone back to bed. Adult me threw off the sheets, scampered down from my lofted bed, and decided to be productive. I honestly don't know myself anymore...
I went downstairs, with my shorts, my teddy bear, and my sewing kit. I then spent time, on a Sunday MORNING, fixing the hem of my shorts and a hole in my bear. Who am I??

After eating brunch with a girl in the suite next to me, it was laundry time. I am pretty familiar with laundry, but I was still daunted. I took my clothes out of my hamper, put them in my giant canvas duffel, grabbed my bag of quarters, all the laundry supplies, and my homework, and went downstairs. When I got down there, I panicked. Where was the water? Where were all the dials??? I called the one person I know I can: Mom.
"MOM! Do I wash with warm water??? What should I do? Wait, I think I figured it out! Bye Mom!"
...Obviously an adult.

Well, I got my laundry going. I decided that the laundry room was really conducive for homework, so there I was, reading the Iliad and my biology textbook while my clothes got all clean and nice. And I finished my reading! So. Good. At. Life. :D

Then, I went to the library, because I found a sentence typo in my freshman writing class paper, and I had to fix it (thanks Uni...). After I got all that done, I decided to set up my printer.
...
The only thing I can say was it wasn't successful. That is honestly the best thing I can say. It's just sitting over here, looking sad and pathetic and not quite working. So, I abandoned it to go sit outside with my friends Odessa and Shady.

In college, you have to get yourself to do the mundane tasks. Making it kind of adventure, or "playing" adult helps you through the fact that you are actually doing laundry or cleaning your room or washing dishes or taking out the trash. This isn't living at home. You are now in charge of your own household, which is so freaking awesome! And it also sucks, because you have all the responsibility of taking care of that household. But, keep at it. It helps that I have an appointed day or two where I get it all done. For me, Sundays are my day. We'll see how well I stick to my schedule. I will let you know next Sunday!

(My coin purse, a gift from Cristina! Laundry costs a whopping $1.50, washing and drying combined, per load...)
(Look at it. Look. Pathetic.)

Much love,
Celinda!

No comments:

Post a Comment