Friday, September 2, 2011

Roots

Unlike many Uni kids, I have lived my entire life in Champaign County. I have traveled of course, (having family in Florida, Mississippi, and Arizona for example), but I was born in Provena hospital and grew up here. As I tell people from time to time, I'll probably die here too. Thus, leaving for Knox County is a more profound experience for me. I spent a lot of today on campus, seeing people, walking familiar streets, riding the MTD bus system, and of course, thinking about my 17 years here.

When I was at Montessori, my class took lessons at Skateland. Soon enough, if you wanted to be considered "cool", you had your birthday at Skateland. So, little me, who skated at the level above falling on my butt level, had my 11th birthday there. It wasn't about the coolness (I had that in spades lol), it was about impressing the boy. If he thought I was cool enough, he would buy me something at the concession stand (the ULTIMATE sign of affection). Well, I didn't get the boy, but I did get the cupcakes with really thick frosting on it, so ALL good :]

Did you know the maximum amount of books you can borrow from the library is 100? My mother and I have gone to the Champaign Library so many times, they know my face...

At the Orpheum Children's Science Museum, I went to dinosaur camp (because dinosaurs were, and are, the shiz), played with the snake Corny, and even rode in the 4th of July parade on their dino float. As I got older, I volunteered at the camp, the same camp that ten years before, I went to.

I have had a long standing love affair with Jimmy Johns. I have their number. I order almost weekly. It all started with dance. During recital time I needed a snack because I would be at Follinger for the whole evening. Jimmy Johns sandwiches were great because they didn't need warming up, they didn't get cold, and they were filling. Basically, I am trying to come up with an excuse for my crippling addiction. Fortunately, I Googled it, and there is a Jimmy John's in Galesburg. I can safely go to college, knowing I will have no withdrawal symptoms.

I went to CDL, Montessori, and Uni High. At CDL...yeah, I don't remember. Montessori was freaking amazing. Great friends (who I hung out with this evening), great education, and the spark. Everyone needs the spark. The spark inspires you to learn, and keep learning, even though you know you will never know it all. Uni refined the spark, directing it towards tangible goals. And now, I will go to my fourth institution of education, fully ready to learn, grow, laugh and love.

While this blog seems random, what I am really getting at is roots. Wherever we wander, we need roots. Roots keep us centered. They are a haven for the broken-hearted, the broken-dreamers, the lonely. Roots are also a place to leave from. A home base. The hometown will welcome you with open arms when you need it. And when you 're ready to strike out on your own again, the town will let you go with the love and pride of sending its flock out into the world.

So, off I go, to a new county, a new place of residence. But, Champaign will always be my hometown. No matter where I go or what I do, if I need it, I always have home. Goodbye Uni, Montessori, U of I, Biaggis, Merry Anns, Orpheum, Christine Rich, Champaign Library, Hessel Park, Bombay, Savoy 16, Parkland, Sholem, Crystal Lake, Grainger, Kenney Gym, Union, Custard Cup, and all the places I loved. And goodbye to all the people of Champaign. You made the first 17 years of my life solid and happy, and I am so blessed that Champaign was my hometown.


Remember your roots, because they are what allow you to blossom.

Muchos Love!
Celinda :D

No comments:

Post a Comment