Monday, September 26, 2011

Pledging APO

Well HEY all of you!

I am no longer just an ordinary, run of the mill blogger. No, now I am a blogger with a PLEDGE PIN.

As of right now, I am a pledge for the co-ed service fraternity Alpha Phi Omega :]

Everyone knows of frats and sororities. If you have been keeping up with the blog, you now know about the good side of frats and sororities. But, even seeing the good side, some of you might not want to join them and THAT'S OKAY. Remember, as a former PCC, I still uphold the belief of supporting all your UNIQUE college/gap year/other processes :]

I want to tell you about those alternative Greek organizations. There are themed sororities/frats, such as music, languages, etc. There are also service frats, and that is what I joined yesterday evening. Pretty much, Alpha Phi Omega (or APO for short) is a co-ed service fraternity formed in 1925. Today, there are around 700 charters all across the US. At Knox, if you pledge to APO, you are promising to give at least ten hours of service and around two (?) hours of membership. Membership hours mean social activities such as study hours, movie nights, and supporting each other at events (like football games and dance performances).

I first came across APO at the carnival of clubs. I had gone in thinking I was going to give my email to two clubs maximum. I kinda gave it to like six...but that's not the point of the story, so we'll ignore my lack of self control. Anyway, one of the clubs was APO. I went up to their booth and they were very friendly. "We focus on service...you can pledge as a first year, first term student...great way to meet older students..." was their spiel. I had read about APO faintly while stalking Knox's website when I was still an applicant. I figured that I would give them my email, and decide later if I wanted to join.

Later that night, I was talking on the phone with my mother, going through my day. Near the end, I mentioned I might possibly join APO. At this my mother got SUPER excited. Turns out, my mother was in APO at the University of Illinois when she was a student. She told me how much fun it had been, and how some of the best friends she had made in college were APO members. About a week later, APO emailed a list of recruitment activities. I decided then and there "Hey...I might go ahead and actually do this" so I went to a Greek Life recruitment activity.

At my recruitment activity, we decorated cupcakes for the maintenance staff. At Knox, the maintenance staff does so much. Because I live in a suite, the staff cleans my main area and bathrooms weekly. We don't pay extra for that service. So, I was super excited to be involved with a project that was a thank you. I also loved how before even pledging, I was doing volunteer work. The people were also a plus. All these older students were so interested in my life, in why I wanted to join. What makes APO interesting is you have all different kinds of people come together for the goals of leadership, service, and brotherhood. You have football players, theater kids, bio nerds, all of them breaking stereotypes and hanging out. And I really mean hang out. They don't just come together unwillingly and half-ass a project. They work together, play Taboo together, study together, and serve the community together. When I realized that, I was sold. Sunday evening, I was pledging

Life can take you in funny directions. A year ago, I was searching adamantly for a college where the Greek life was minimal at best. In fact, one of the reasons I turned away from Vanderbilt was because 50% of the girls were in a sorority. I had done all that work to avoid Greek life, and here I am, pledging to a co-ed service frat. I mean, APO members can pledge to other frats and sororities and I don't plan on doing that, and in a lot of ways APO is not a typical frat/sorority. Yet I still hadn't planned on going NEAR a Greek organization. But, yesterday I dressed up, went to Old Main, and went through the pledging ceremony. I can't tell you exactly what went down, but I can promise you I wasn't hazed, I wasn't left in the middle of a cornfield, I wasn't told to drink as much as I can as fast as I can, or anything like that. No, I swore an oath, and now I am a pledge!

As a pledge, I have to pay dues (like all frats and sororities), but my dues are only $35. Furthermore, this busy term just got busier, because now I have to get service and membership hours in. But, I am super excited. Today I'm giving blood. Next weekend, I am going on a SCAVENGER HUNT through Galesburg (Fun fact about me: I.LOVE.SCAVENGER.HUNTS.) I might go to a study hour this week because I have a bio midterm this week (another thing to blog about lol). So the term will be busy, but fulfilling.

And thus, we wrap up Greek Week. What I really want you to take away from this is not all sororities/fraternities are bad, and not all of them are good. Some don't even fit the stereotypical version of what a frat/sorority is. You don't ever have to join one, or even go visit one. But if you do, use your common sense when joining. If a frat or sorority is hazing you and you don't feel comfortable, why would you want to join that community? PLEASE be safe when hazing. People have died during hazing activities because they don't know how to say NO. Use your voice, your common sense, and it can be an amazing experience in your life. Both Lizzy and Seth have shared that joining Greek life was one of the best decisions they have ever made. I also hope I will be able to say that in the future. Wish me luck!

My APO pin. It's perty :]


Keep posted!
Celinda :]

No comments:

Post a Comment