Sunday, September 18, 2011

Making A Difference: Volunteering

He was in a wheelchair. He had pretty much lost the ability to communicate, to react to the world around him, and to take care of himself. He was ancient, the wrinkles deep in his weathered skin. His daughter had lovingly tied a green balloon to his wheel chair. I saw him smile, and he playfully bounced the balloon with a closed fist. I saw so much joy in his face, it made me ashamed. I was ashamed because today (or most days really), I have not felt or expressed unmitigated joy in simply being alive.

Today, I volunteered at the St. Mary's Square Fall Fling. The center services people with disabilities, as well as the extremely elderly or in need of extreme medical care. Their link is found here: http://www.smsliving.org/ 
Two other freshman girls and I helped set up, served food, and put everything up. It was work that kept us on our feet for 3-4 hours. And I would do it again tomorrow, if need be.

There is something very powerful about making a difference. Our world is full of problems. Everywhere you turn, something else seems to be wrong. Some days, I stop and I feel terror for the future. I lose faith in humanity, in hope, in doing anything for my future, because why try for nothing redeeming? But when I volunteer, I know that in my small sphere of influence, I am making a difference.

I am one very small being. I will NEVER change the world. But, I can make a difference. I can bring a smile to someone's face, or help someone with their homework, or just listen to someone's troubles, even if I am powerless to change it. And, soon enough, the beautiful network of human connection, of human EMPATHY, can make collective differences. Each and every one of us has the ability to affect someone's life for the better, even in the most minute ways. That is why I choose to volunteer.

College is an amazing time to volunteer. Even the smallest colleges will have large amounts of volunteer opportunities, for all kinds of interest. My friend Ella hopes to be an Environmental Studies major, so she is joining an environmental club that is fighting to make Knox green. I myself am planning on volunteering at the Boys and Girls Club and Alpha Phi Omega (which is a co-ed service fraternity). Later on, I plan on joining Reading Buddies and a mentoring program. There are literally a million ways to volunteer AND follow your passions. If a college doesn't have what are you looking for, create your own opportunity. College has so much freedom, and you can use that freedom to fight for your causes.

I had fun, and I got a lot out of it too. I made a new friend, a girl in my class I have never talked to. I also got to hang out with my friend Ella. I got to help at a center that I believe is filled with heroes. I got to come home feeling accomplished on a Sunday. And I won a pumpkin, in the raffle. That's the thing about volunteering. You aren't just making a difference in the lives of others, but changing your own life. The changes can be intangible, like making you more responsible, more sympathetic, a better listener, or a better leader. The changes can be tangible, like a FREAKING PUMPKIN :D

My point is, whatever your cause or interest, use college to make a difference and volunteer. It truly means the most in our crazy, messed up world.

Much Love,
Celinda!
                                                                  Me and Herman!! :D

No comments:

Post a Comment